Friday, August 8, 2008

Singin' in the Rain


This morning on my daily 6-7 mile constitutional walk/run, I got caught in a brief rainstorm! It hasn't rained here for a while and being outside and hot in the cool rain was such a great change of pace!

As I walked along my trail by a river I thought about playing in the rain as a kid in Tucson during Monsoon Season in August and how fun it was to play in the puddles. If there wasn't lightning, my mom would let us get in swim suits and go play in the wet grass and then we'd sneak into the street and play in giant puddles. But the best times in the rain were when we'd be swimming in the rain; for some really ridiculous reason, swimming in the rain always seemed so exotic and much more fun than swimming in the sun, or something :)

On my first date when I turned 16, I was at the Magic Kingdom at Disney World and it rained for most of the afternoon. We were pretty wet as we headed to the front of the park on the railroad and listened to the rain beat down over our heads. At the time I remember thinking that rain is so romantic and sort of separates you from the rest of the world. I guess rain is still romantic! Heaven knows my favorite scene in "Pride and Prejudice" is when Mr Darcy professes his love for Elizabeth as he's dripping wet. Man!

Anyway, walking in the rain is just so fun, I only wished I were with my mom or my sisters because then we would've danced about and sung "what a glorious feeling, I'm happy again!"

1 comment:

Lorana said...

I miss the Tucson monsoon. Phoenix doesn't get that kind of action. In Tucson, a big river would form during a good rain and it was a blast to play in. I remember visiting you in Summertree once and thinking it was SO INTERESTING to find out that the same river passed your house before running through our neighborhood.

The difference between the rain in most places and the summer storms in AZ is that in most places, people go inside during the rain, but in AZ, everyone hurries out!