Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Broken boards!

Yesterday at Tae Kwon Do, I broke a 1/2 inch thick board with my elbow! I also broke the same width board with a side kick! I'm so proud!

I do have a massive bruise right above my right wrist where I hit the first board I tried to break. Somehow I didn't get my hand on it and instantly got a robin's egg and a scratch. Not to be deterred, I ran my wrist under cold water for a while and then the instructor had me try breaking with my elbow. When my elbow went through the board, I'm sure my face was one of utter amazement! I was pretty disappointed when I didn't break a board with my hand, but hey! at least I broke one using my arm in some way!
Kicking the board was way easier. They just put the board in a holder thing and I had to kick it right in the middle. I was surprised that it didn't hurt and how big the crack was when it split!

I seriously feel like a "real" martial arts person now! I never imagined I would break boards with my body! So cool!!

3 comments:

Lorana said...

OW

Shy said...

You are one tough cookie! I mean, I knew that already, but you have just confirmed it fully!!!

adrienneis said...

When I was much younger and living in Enterprise, AL, I also took Tae Kwon Do. For one reason or another I was just way too chicken to break the boards with my hands or feet.

Several years later during a Tony Robbins company conference I had to attend for an employer, everyone was told we would have to break a board in two on the last day. I'm not certain if it was Tony Robbins, "Eye of the Tiger" playing or the invention of Red Bull (which I do not drink), but I broke that board with such a force! No bruise and I felt very empowered!

The reason I'm telling you this story? Hmmm... Not so certain, but many kudos to breaking those boards! hi-ya!

smiles,
Adrienne (currently in Florida)
www.adrienne-is.com/blog